Friday, April 10, 2009

Thought I was going crazy for a minute there...

Hey everyone, Micah here.

So my friend has been telling me for months that there is a type of deer here that is no bigger than an average dog when it is full-grown. He said they also have very small antlers, but huge fangs or tusks, similar to the hogs that almost finished off Old Yeller. He said they were called "monk jacks," or at least that's what I thought he was saying. Every time he brought these deer up in conversation I told him that he was silly for thinking I would believe in such an animal, because I assumed he was pulling my leg, and a "monk jack" is made-up, like a jackalope.

Well, last night as I was driving home I saw a deer about the size of a dog on the side of the road, with fangs and glowing eyes (from the headlights) watching me. So i finally googled "monkjack" and it steered me in this direction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reeves%27s_muntjac After reading it, I realized that my friend is not the liar that I thought he was and, more importantly, I am not going crazy and imagining litte deer with fangs as I drive through the night.




By the way, I realize wikipedia is not necessarily a legitimate source of info (they do have an extensive section on sasquatches, after all) but it sure is handy.

No comments: